How often should you get your headshots updated?
This is a question I’m often asked by business professionals who might have that single headshot photo they’ve been holding on to, and using for the last 10 years.
Before I dive into how often you need to update your headshots, you might discover the answer for yourself, by taking a look at these two different scenarios.
You’re out at a networking event, you’ve made a great connection with someone, you hand them your business card, and they take a double look.
You respond, and say, I know I’ve been so busy for the last 10 years and I haven’t had time to update my headshot. I promise, I am the same person!!
You’re going through a website redesign, and your website designer gives you a list of photos they need for your brand new, amazing website.
You respond and say, oh, what’s wrong with the ones we have from 5 years ago. I look great in those.
Your website designer says, well if we were designing this website 5 years ago, they would be perfect. BUT we’re not, and we need pictures of how you look now.
Having recent, up to date headshots is important. But many business owners think things like this:
- I’ve gained weight in the past 5 years, and I’m going to lose some weight first.
- I don’t like how I look in photos, so I’m just going to keep this one from 10 years ago, when I looked better.
- It’s so much work to figure out what to wear.
- I have to run around to get my hair and makeup done. It’s too much time to devote to something like pictures.
These are excuses that keep you stuck with the same old headshots and can have a negative impact on your brand.
Don’t let these excuses hold you back from getting the new headshots you need as a business professional.
In my opinion, you should update your headshot at a minimum of every two years, if not, once a year.
Here are a few things to consider when you’re thinking about how often you need to update your headshot:
- If it’s been more than two years it’s definitely time to consider an update.
- Are you updating your website? Update your photos too. This is a perfect time to invest in new photos to match your fresh, new redesign. Have an online launch party on the social media platforms where you show up, and include your new photos too.
- Have you ever updated your Facebook profile photo and received a flood of comments? Imagine doing that with a new headshot every year. That would likely start plenty of conversations, wouldn’t it?
- You find yourself making excuses for why you haven’t had a new headshot every time you hand out a business card or share your website.
Your headshot is often your first handshake as a business owner.
Your website, Facebook business page, Linked In profile, and Instagram feed are often the first way your clients find you and interact first with your business.
You want to make sure your headshot reflects your business and brand in a way you love, feel confident sharing, and that attracts the dream clients you want to work with.
Did you relate to any of these scenarios or excuses?
Are you ready to update your headshot?
You can book a spot for a Mini-Luxe Headshot photoshoot.
Professional hair and makeup, and a wardrobe consultation are all included.
When To Update Your Headshots
VIEW THE COMMENTS